Re: benchmark between aranym and crest

Bill Allombert píše v St 11. 10. 2006 v 23:37 +0200:
> wget   : downloading a 2Mb tarball with wget
> tar zxf: unpacking a 2Mb tarball
> rm -r  : deleting the tree in the tarball
> MPQS   : number crunching+file access
> galois : number crunching+data handling

All tests suffered from the extremely slow IDE emulation. I'll work on
avoiding that by creating an aranym disk driver for linux.

Also there is a compile time switch in ARAnyM that will boost the memory
performance by up to 60% ( http://wiki.aranym.org/speedtest ). This
switch will be enabled in next upload of the debian package.

> On the positive side, the host is not particularly fast by
> today standard, so I would expect aranym performance on current
> i386/amd64 type hardware to be close to crest.

BTW, the power of ARAnyM is not in its raw speed but in its
availability, price and extendability. Say crest with 2 GB RAM and 750
GB SATA disk drive - and you can buy it in your nearest corner shop for
a few bucks...

Petr