Re: Fwd: linux-image-2.6-17-mac tries

On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 09:45:43AM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> I have no idea what kind of machine this happened on. If it's not Sonic or
> IIfx, locking or interrupt reentry seems most likely. The 5380 driver of
> old mostly relies on interrupts being masked on entry, and the big kernel
> lock held.

I hadn't looked at it that closely. However, that sounds like it's asking
for trouble. The BKL has been pretty heavily deprecated in 2.6. There
have been a ton of changes to irq handling as well.

> IIRC the SCSI driver for Atari still worked in 2.6.13, with the limited
> testing I gave it. I've patched 2.6.17 to compile but didn't have a chance
> to test it yet.

I'm not sure if it is still the case, but in the copy of the tree I
have handy, atari_scsi uses a local copy of NCR5380.c rather than
the shared copy being used by mac_scsi. The sun3_scsi driver appears
to have a local copy as well. I wouldn't trust the atari driver working
as being much of an indication because of this.

> SCSI-1 disks have been reported to fail before... Either way, I'll test
> the related Atari driver as soon as possible.

I have to admit to lacking information with some of the SCSI specific
issues. In any case, it would certainly be good to test the Atari code.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com