Re: m68k not a release arch for etch; status in testing, future plans?

> gcc-4.0 was extremly brittle and should never has been made the default
> compiler in sid. It was not working correctly on i386 let alone on
> others platforms. I don't remember a similar issue with any other sid
> compiler. I spent more working around compiler issues than I ever had
> to.
>
> I am quite glad we moved to gcc-4.1, but gcc-4.0 was a total waste of
> time and certainly contributed for a great part for the current state
> of m68k. Given the porter team are not responsible for the choice of
> tool chains version for their architecture, they should not have to bear
> the consequences.
>
> So I urge you to give Debian/m68k a fair chance.

Having been insured that all this is about policy not attitude, I'd say we
have had our chance, m68k users should instead look at Debian for netbsd
instead.

Seriously, "we cannot afford to help you anymore" shows not only is gcc
brittle but so is the whole project.