Problems with unpopulated SCSI host on Apple G4 Dualie (mirror front)

Hello List!

I'm having some issues with my Mac and 3.1r2 Sarge

The install goes swimmingly well, and then during the intial reboot,
the system probes for devices, tries to load an aic driver for the
unused onboard adaptec controller, and gives us a kernel oops.

My strategy to fix this is to use some sort of rescue disk, boot into
it, mount the system partition, fix up the modprobe config stuff so it
don't probe low-level scsi, and get on with life.

I have a considerable amount of linux experience, but I confess that
its all been on the pc up till now, and I've been unable to make
enough sense of the pre-boot environment to successfully mount the
system partition.

Interestingly enough, OSX does not load a driver for the adaptec
either, SCSI under 'About this Mac' shows 'No information found'.

Any direction on any of these points by someone more 'in-the-know'
would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
James

Hardware Overview: