Re: booting 2.6.16-20060521 on my Macintosh Quadra 700

2006/5/22, Christian T. Steigies <cts@debian.org>:
On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 10:49:34PM +0200, Alex Teclo wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm now trying to boot the vmlinuz-2.6.16-20060521 kernel from
> Christian T. Steigies available at:
> http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/linux-image/experimental/
>
> First attempt:
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
> VFS: mounted root (ext3 filesystem) read only.
> INIT: version 2.86 booting
>
> ... and then... nothing...
> no crash, but no further messages.
>
> Second and subsequent attempts:
> Kernel crash
>
> I didn't include a picture of the crash
> ... but here is a picture just before the crash, where there is
> something "weird" about esp0:
> http://www.geocities.com/alexteclo/quadra700/2_6_16_20060521/006.jpg

I am not a mac expert... there is a kernel option which fiddles with some
SCSI paramaters, do you already use something like that? If not, maybe
somebody here remembers or you search the list archives.

Since SCSI seems to be a major problem, can you hook up an IDE disk or use
root on NFS?

Well I don't think the Quadra 700 supports IDE... These "historical"
Apple computers all have SCSI and no IDE.
Regarding bootinng from NFS, as another person said the sonic driver
isn't present in  this kernel...

Thank you,
Alex