Re: linux-image-2.6.15-6 (was: Solution for issue with PicassoII and flickering pixels)

On 19.02.2006, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Peter Krummrich wrote:
>> The kernel boot options video=clgen or video=cirrusfb did not activate
>> the PicassoII card. Typing modprobe cirrusfb.o blindly did not help
>> either (my monitor does not sync to amifb standard mode - what would be
>> the option to switch amifb to vga mode 640x480 with 60 Hz?).
>
> video=vga (640x480, 60 Hz)
> video=vga70 (640x400, 70 Hz)
>
> But this works on ECS or AGA only, i.e. not on your A2000 (unless you
> upgraded to ECS).

I did upgrade to ECS. But I also have a flickerfixer in the box. As it
seems, this device keeps me from using these modes. Sorry that I did not
think about it earlier.

But my preferred option would be to activate my Picasso II card anyway. Do
you happen to know, which part of the kernel source code interprets kernel
arguments and calls/activates the appropriate kernel module? There seems to
be some translation involved. The option for the clgen driver is
video=clgen. But the module name is clgenfb. So there is some translation
between the video= option and the module name. Maybe the code responsible
for this translation is not aware of the cirrusfb option/module yet? Just
an idea...

> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
>                         Geert
>
> --
> Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 --
> geert@linux-m68k.org
>
> In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker.
> But when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something
> like that.
>                                 -- Linus Torvalds

Best Regards,

Peter