Re: linux-image-2.6.15-6 (was: Solution for issue with PicassoII and flickering pixels)

On 14.02.2006, Christian Steigies wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 10:15:44AM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>>
>> Atafb is rumoured to have been updated by the Aranym hackers many months
>> ago, it would be nice if we could lay our hands on that patch...
>
> Yup. amifb:off switches amifb off, thats nice, but now I have no display
> at all, even afer I load cirrusfb. I guess the card is not recognized on
> the Z2 bus?

I finally got a chance to test the new kernel image (2.6.15-6.1 for amiga -
I did install a test system first on a spare partition - I prefer to have a
productive 2.4.27 system where most things work and a separate test
system). Here is what I found out.

The kernel boot options video=clgen or video=cirrusfb did not activate the
PicassoII card. Typing modprobe cirrusfb.o blindly did not help either (my
monitor does not sync to amifb standard mode - what would be the option to
switch amifb to vga mode 640x480 with 60 Hz?).

Starting the kernel with video=amifb:off somehow did activate the Picasso
card. I heard the "click" from the video switch and the message from the
monitor disappeared (mode not supported). However, the sreen remained
black. So either the cirrusfb module does not work or the console does not
use it. Any ideas?

>> > Anyhow, for testing cirrusfb the new image might be suitable. 2.6.15-6
>> > is

<snip>

> Christian

Best Regards,