Re: APUS still supported?

"Christian T. Steigies" <cts@debian.org> schrieb am 12.02.06 23:21:10:

> You run an m68k kernel with a powerpc userspace?

No, of course not :-) (I don't believe it's possible, but it wouldn't make any sense,
either ;-) I meant to say that - since I've currently only APUS installed - if I booted
a 68k-kernel with amiboot, everything else except that one kernel would still be
compiled for a different processor and therefore won't run. (Or so I presume...)

> you are more than welcome to also test the m68k kernels. For basic testing,
> you would not even need a fully installed m68k system, although if you have
> a spare partition, that would not hurt either.

OK - as soon as I find some time, I'll set up another "68k"-partition :-)

> I would be very interested if, and how, you get the PicassoIV to work
> in your machine.

I used it in once in an A2000 (but that's long ago, don't ask me which kernel...)
and I remember that I had some difficulties in getting the PIV to work, but
eventually I got it fixed.
Now I'm using it with an APUS 2.4.20 kernel (because any newer kernels
didn't like the SCSI-controller on the Cyberstorm) and it worked "straight out
of the box" for me, I just booted up the kernel with the "video=clgen:" option
and watched the kernel messages during bootup on a nice framebuffer ;-)
Even X works fine on a 256 color display (what was the reason there's no
hicolor/truecolor support btw.? I tried to figure it out of the sourcecode, but
since I don't know the CL chip's specs I didn't get very far...), there was
some trouble with the keyboard which could IIRC be fixed by disabling XBK.

> I have no idea if PicassoIV is still supported in linux-2.6,

Isn't "cirrusfb" the successor of "clgen"? If so, I can't see why there shouldn't
be any support in linux-2.6 anymore...

Thanks for all the answers,

Adan