Re: libstring-approx-perl broke updating Woody to Sarge

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Lance Tagliapietra wrote:
> In any case, I decided to go and attempt the upgrade, and have run into
> the following problem now when attempting to use apt-get or dpkg or
> aptitude:
>
> dpkg: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 41026
> package `libstring-approx-perl':
>  field name `Sectch' must be followed by colon
>
> I'm kinda in a catch-22, since even dpkg -l will abort with that error,
> nor can I seem to install or remove packages, as that error will come
> up.

Have you tried just removing the offending line? Or removing the whole section
related to libstring-approx-perl (it doesn't really look like a critical
package anyway)?

I guess dpkg will just re-add it during the next `apt-get update' run, but
hopefully the real problem is fixed at that time. Upgrading dpkg and apt-get is
probably also needed.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds