Re: Xf86 and fbdev, unresolved symbol

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:57:22 -0500
Lance Tagliapietra <lancetag@Luminet.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 05:46:16PM -0500, Matthew P. Cummings wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 19:07, Sarah wrote:
> >
> > It is the only solution I have found that works.  Use fvwm or twm for a
> > window manager, not the desktops kdm or gnome.  They'll really show you
> > how slow and low on ram a stock amiga 4000 is.  They run, but you'll get
> > gray hairs waiting on it.  Same for Mozilla.
>
> Mozilla does work on the m68k arch though.  You sure are right about the
> slow part!  On my A2000/030/40MHz/16M it takes about 5 minutes to render
> Slashdot, and that is going to my Envizex X-terminal (offloading the
> X-Server portion from the A2000).
>
> Fortunately, I caught mention here of the Dillo browser, which is
> downright snappy by comparison on the same hardware.

I've noticed Galeon is significantly faster than Mozilla -- at least in the user interface.  Granted I'm using an '040/40/128M rather than an '030/40/16M.  I suspect page rendering would be about the same as Mozilla though.  I sometimes use Dillo for just browsing around and have Galeon running in a different workspace.  When I come upon a page Dillo doesn't render well I stick the URL into Galeon.

--
Joel Ewy
jce-m68k ~at~ swbell ~dot~ net