Debian 3.0 on Performa 400 (LC II)

Hello,

I'm attempting to install debian-m68k on my Performa 400, which is, as you
probably know, essentially an LC II.  Specs are:

10 MB RAM
1.1 GB full-height SCSI HDD (the top of the case is off and the HD has a
huge AMD heatsink/fan on it)
Mac OS 7.6.0 on 64 MB partition
SCSI SyQuest 88MB cartridge drive for installation media (base system is
on one cart, the rest of CD1 is split between 5 more)
Farallon EtherMac LC-TP 592a-TP NIC in PDS slot

I'm having a few problems. Penguin boots fine, after a few minutes I'm at
the installer.  I have set up a 64 MB partition for Mac OS 7.6.1 on
/dev/sda3, a 64 MB partition for swap on /dev/sda5, and the remainder of
the drive for linux root on /dev/sda4.  The SyQuest cart mounts fine on
/dev/sdb5 and installs the rescue image just fine, then installs
drivers.tgz just fine. When it gets to Packages.gz, it hangs, and
continues to hang... I've let it run about 12 hours.  Is this file just
that big that it will take several hours or even a day or more to
decompress and install?  It also doesn't appear (from the indicator LEDs)
to be reading/writing to or from the HD or SyQuest during this hanging.

If this fails, I will probably attempt to set up an NFS share, which
brings me to my second problem.  The debian installer recognizes the
Farallon NIC, but DHCP does not work, so I can't get the network
configured correctly.

I just purchased (for $4) an Asante NIC from eBay, which should be
arriving within a week or so, so I'll see how that works.

Until then, any suggestions?

Thanks,
James Longstreet

James Longstreet