Re: Problems with kernel 2.4.20 on Amiga

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 11:28:47PM +0200, Rolf Anders wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I downloaded kernel-image-2.4.20-amiga_2.4.20-1_m68k.deb from
> http://people.debian.org/~cts and installed it on my Amiga 2000 (030/882,
> 25 MHz, 13 MB RAM). I encountered the following problems:

Thanks for testing. BTW the official version is now available in unstable,
so the one you tested will go away soon.

> * About every third key I press gets repeated about 100 times and I get
>   lots of messages saying "amikeyb: keyboard lost sync" and "amikeyb:
>   unknown keyboard communication code 0xff". The keyboard has a
>   qwerty-layout and red A's on the Amiga-keys. It worked fine with
>   all previous kernels I used (up to 2.2.25). Also, when I connect my
>   A3000-keyboard to the A2000 there are no problems. Does anybody know which
>   changes between 2.2.25 and 2.4.20 could have caused this?

That's something I did not test, why would you use the keyboard??? Anyhow,
just tested, works fine, Amiga2000, german keyboard. However, I did see the
same when I use the lyra keyboard adapter and a PS/2 keyboard. I removed
those lines from the kernel, it worked fine then. Maybe I should add that
hack to the kernel-patch?

> * The kernel ignores the video-setting on the commandline. The following
>   worked with 2.2.19:
>
>   amiboot-5.6 -k vmlinuz-2.2.19 root=/dev/sda2 \
> 	video=amifb:euro72,depth:1,font:PEARL8x8
>
>   Using the same with vmlinuz-2.4.20 I get a PAL screen with more than
>   2 colors. Has the syntax for the video-setting changed or is this a bug in
>   the kernel?

Looking at the amifb driver (btw kernel-source and kernel-patch-m68k are in
the archives, too), the depth options seems to have been removed. More than
2 colours is better than 2 colours, isn't it?

> * I can't find the driver for the Multiface III serial ports.
>   config-2.4.20 contains the line
>
>   CONFIG_MULTIFACE_III_TTY=m
>
>   but I can't find the corresponding module. Was it renamed?

It seems it is completely gone from the kernel source... I dimly remember
something about changes to the serial drivers, seems nobody changed this, so
it was removed. Maybe you can ask on linux-m68k and port the driver from
2.2.25 to 2.4.20. You have the hardware...

Christian