Re: Macintosh problems not junk please read i need help from another comp user !!!!!

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 07:01:08PM +0100, peter grundy wrote:

please do not send html email to this (and probably other) mailing lists.

>    Hello my name is peter and i have a macintosh classic and every time i
>    turn it on it comes up with a little 3 and a half inch floppy and in the
>    middle of the floppy it comes up with a little flashing ? so i was
>    wondering if u could help me! if so send a email to Peteriswic@msn.com
>    saying the solutuion

The solution? I guess the floppy says your mac is fine and is waiting for a
disk with the operating system, so give it one and everything is fine.

If however you have a harddisk which has/had an operating system on it, I
guess this means the Mac does not recognize it as such anymore. I found Macs
to be quite picky about that, I think the official term is, your system
folder is not "blessed" anymore. It usually fixes itself when you hook up
the disk to another Mac that still has a working OS, emulators work fine for
that purpose, too. It should probably work if you boot from a Mac floppy, or
that should at least allow you to "bless" your system folder. You can get
floppy images on the mac ftp site for installing the OS from scratch. I
guess you do need a bootable floppy to get that started. I have no idea how
to write such a floppy from a non MacOS system, I'd even have trouble to
write one from a Mac... maybe if you asked on a mac mailing list/newsgroup
sombody could help you?

Christian