Re: Modem and MacOuadra

Hans Bergström wrote:

> Still having problems with modem connection to my Quadra-box
> The modem is by the way a US Roboctics 56k faxmodem.
>
> Output from wvdialconf:
> "Scanning your serial ports for a modem.
>
> (A long list of scanned ports starting w. /dev/ttyS0 at 2400 baud or
> something, going up to 115200 w.out answer)
>
> Sorry, no modem was detected!  Is it in use by another program?
> Did you configure it properly with setserial?"
>
> No /etc/wvdial.conf is created.
>
> Output from setserial /dev/ttyS0:
> "/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550, Port: 0x50f0c022, IRQ: 4
>         Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
>         closing_wait: 3000
>         Flags: spd_normal"
> I suspect something is missing/wrong in my configuration using setserial but
> can't figure out what. The things I have changed is baud_base and uart but
> no combination works.

I think the UART is wrong. The 16550 is a PC-style UART. Please check
lowendmac.com of everymac.com for the type of UART in your MAC. You can
also look for it in the Hardware report of Penguin. Another option is
initialising the ports in Penguin as Wouter suggested.

HTH, Erik
Erik C.J. Laan				elaan at dds.nl
Please reply below the message,	 please cut unrelevant pieces from a
reply.