Modem and MacOuadra

Still having problems with modem connection to my Quadra-box
The modem is by the way a US Roboctics 56k faxmodem.

Output from wvdialconf:
"Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

(A long list of scanned ports starting w. /dev/ttyS0 at 2400 baud or
something, going up to 115200 w.out answer)

Sorry, no modem was detected!  Is it in use by another program?
Did you configure it properly with setserial?"

No /etc/wvdial.conf is created.

Output from setserial /dev/ttyS0:
"/dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550, Port: 0x50f0c022, IRQ: 4
	Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
	closing_wait: 3000
	Flags: spd_normal"
I suspect something is missing/wrong in my configuration using setserial but
can't figure out what. The things I have changed is baud_base and uart but
no combination works.

Glad for hints.
Hans (Linux newbie)