Re: Install Freeze

Cameron wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A simple problem. I'm installing debian 2.2 on my quadra 840av. I'm
> using a seperate 500MB HD for the linux partitions and have 32MB of
> physical RAM.
>
> I've followed the install guide multiple times, to the t, and have even
> redownloaded all the files again from a different server with a
> different program to make sure they are intact.
>
> The problem is this, I get to "Unpacking the base system" and it
> freezes after 5 minutes. I know it freezes because I cannot switch
> consoles and the cursor has stopped blinking. There are no other errors.
>
> I tried rebooting, hoping that the base install had actually worked,
> but no such luck. It said it couldn't find an init or something like
> that. So I'm guessing it didn't finish.
>
> I actually ran through the entire process again, this time with the
> third console in front while the base unpacking ran. There were no
> errors in there either.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?

What kernel do you use? Please use at least the 2.2.20 (preferably the
2.2.23 ) kernel from sourceforge, and if using more than 1 disk try
disabling SCSI reselect commands with

mac53c9x=1,0

in the penguin kernel command-line box.
(To be complete that should be mac53c9x=2,0 on Quadra900 and 950's).

HTH, Erik.
Erik C.J. Laan				elaan at dds.nl
Please reply below the message,	 please cut unrelevant pieces from a
reply.