date and octave

Hello!

I've just installed debian 2.2r7 on my amiga (MC 68040) and
have a few questions.
Command date displays almost correct date, because the
year is 1903. Is it ok for debian or maybe I have something
wrong?
What about octave? Well, it isn't working at all. When I
want to use it, it displays some information about version
and then it quits because of segmentation fault. As an
explanation it says:

Attempting to clean up apparently failed

Does anyone know, how to make octave working?

Bye!
danadam@poczta.fm