Re: Quadra 950 Floppy Drive

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 20:51, Hank wrote:

> >I applied your patch to the 2.2.22 source on sourceforge.  We're at 2.2.23 on sourceforge now so getting the latest 2.2 source should include your patch to the floppy driver.  I was able to get my IIfx to eject, but I seem to recall it failed on my Q950.
> >
> >Ray
> >
> Well, I guess you don't need to make a nod anyway. I though it would
> show up as /dev/fdhd0.
> But apparently it already exists as /dev/fd0. When I enter the floppy I
> get this message:
>
> SWIM_IOP: unit 0 changed
>
> And (BTW I'm using 2.2.23) it ejects the floppy consistently with
> <<eject /floppy>>
>
> When I try to mount the floppy I get the following (using mount -t hfs
> /dev/fd0 /floppy)
>
> end_request: I/O error. dev0-2:00 (floppy), sector 0
> hfs_fs: unable to read block 0x00000000 from dev 02:00
> hfs_fs: Unable to read superblock
>
> This same message is repeated.And then I see
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0
>         or too many mounted filesystems

Like I said in another post on this subject, I haven't looked at the
code much.  That being said it sounds like there may be a problem in the
HFS driver software.  It has never been used with floppy disks before
and I'm pretty sure that HFS treats floppies and hard disks slightly
different.  HFS floppies don't have partitions.

> When I enter a DOS floppy, I get this difference in the message in the
> middle line:
>
> FAT bread failed
>
> Well, at least a 68k mac can eject a floppy
>
> Hank

Ray