Re: problems on Quadra 700

on 2/18/03 10:49 PM, Chris Tillman wrote:

>> But
>> I am stuck trying to get on-board ethernet working properly. Does
>> ethernet work fine for you? I get freezes, buffer overflows, once a
>> kernel panic, all ethernet related.
>>
>> I'm using Woody 3.0r1 CD version. The next 2 things I'm going to try are
>> the newer kernel/modules I found on sourceforge, or a nubus ethernet card.
>
>Do you boot MacOS without extensions? If any network extensions load
>before booting Linux, this could be the result.  The surest way is to
>boot with the Shift key held.

I've had mixed results; sometimes the shift key does it and other times
it still fails. I thought I finally had it pegged when I removed the
System Enabler file and it worked once, but the next boot another crash.
I don't want to use the shift key because I have to attach a keyboard,
and the shift key also prevents Penguin from automatically starting.
Starting penguin by pressing keys without a monitor is possible but
tricky. I've only been messing with it a few hours each weekend...