Re: Installation problem

I'm struggling with a similar install of Woody on a Quadra 700. I found
that the kernel file and penguin are on the 1st woody cd but you have to
dig down into some folders to get there. The process varies a bit from
the potato procedure which is better documented (a mac-specific install
document on www.mac.linux-m68k.org). I just had to wade through the woody
document http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/m68k/install.en.html and
that got me almost all the way there.

The one undocumented problem I solved was that /dev/cdrom was a symbolic
link to /dev/sr0, but there was no /dev/sr0 (or /dev/scd0 either). I
figured out that I had to switch to the shell screen, type cd /dev and
MAKEDEV scd0. This allowed the installer to see the cdrom and install the
base system.

I'm currently struggling with the onboard ethernet (sonic) on the Quadra
700. It seems I really have to hold down a shift key when booting the
Mac; disabling extensions with Extension Manager does not seem to have
the same effect. This is a problem because I want to run the Quadra
without a keyboard attached.