Re: chicken or egg problem-newbie install question

Alfred,

Thanks for your info, but...

I understand (I think) what apps I need.  The problem is that the Mac OS
currently doesn't know how to talk Ethernet.  The XP box is on the
internet, but how do I get files from the XP box to the Mac?  Or get the
Mac talking Ethernet and download the files on the Mac?

I also have a Linux machine at work that I could use if it will help, it
is on the internet.

Thanks,

Lincoln

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 16:24, Alfred G. de Wijn wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 04:04:46PM -0500, Lincoln Rutledge wrote:
>
> > Have Quadra 610, first Mac.  Onboard Ethernet, fb video, SCSI CDROM,
> > 250mb disk, 1gb disk.  OS 7.1.
> Looks good.  Q610's have full 040's, so no LC040-bugginess for you.
>
> > How do I get network software installed in Mac OS to download Stuffit?
> > Or get Stuffit onto a Mac disk to install?
> > Have access to a WinXP machine on internet and LAN.
> Go to http://www.stuffit.com/expander/index.html, where you should be
> able to download a .hqx stuffit achive.  That means you still need a
> binhex decoder; a little google found me
> http://www.pure-mac.com/compen.html
> which seems to have all you need.
>
> > Have Debian Potato CD for mac68k burned and ready to go.
> Potato?  That's a bit old - why not use woody?
>
> > The problem is that I need to be able to extract the darn installation
> > files.
> Get the stuffit hqx version 5.5, de-binhex it, and it should give you an
> installer.
>
> cheers, Alfred

>  Alfred G. de Wijn
>  Home address:  Cambridgelaan 199 k 3, 3584 DZ Utrecht, The Netherlands
>  e-mail: dwijn@iluvatar.eu.org
>  web: http://www.iluvatar.eu.org/~dwijn
Lincoln Rutledge
Information Technology Manager
Fairfield County District Library    	740-653-2745 ext. 139
lrutledge[at]fairfield.lib.oh.us	www.fairfield.lib.oh.us