Re: Problems with Installation/After INstallation.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 03:13:17PM -0500, Dave Germiquet wrote:

> Here are a few questions.
>
> First of all I am trying to install linux on a MAC LC 475, HD 250, Ram 32
> MBS, vram 512. The macintosh parition is 30 mbs, the swap is 40, and the
> linux is 180.   I am aware of that this machine does not have a floating
> point unit and may have a processor that the emulation does not work.
>
> I am encouraged to try this because we are planning to give these
> comptuers  away to people who cannot afford computers and it says it is
> doable on the machine status web page.
>
> Here
> is the problem, i first tried installing woody and it crashed right at the
> very end when it was setting the base file up (it downloaded without a
> problem, extracted without a problem, however it stopped in the middle of
> the setting up process. I
> did a manual running the file, and it said missing file_utils package or
> something.  So I gave up on that distrubution (I tried 2 differnet ftp
> sites)
>
> I then tried potato, everything went ok until the initial boot , it booted
> but didnt run the dpkg-reconfigure base-config. I figured this out after
> looking at the intitab and saw what it was running. The first screen
> frooze, with it saying respawning too fast waiting five minuts. I hit
> alt-f2
> to switch screens
> and it gave me alogin prompt i tried logging in and using the
> dpkg-configure base-config and it said BUS error, then everytime after
> that segmentation fault. I have many LC 475'2 and so far the two i tried
> said the same thing.  How do I know if my LC 475 has the floating point
> bug or if this is the reason why it is crashing. Any hints or tips are
> welcome.
> How can I get X windows to work, because I am aware that using X windows
> with ICEWM is smaller then kde, and I was thinking of using that.
>
> Will the Centris 610 work? would you know? I will be trying that next.

These problems sound like the kind of crap I was seeing before I learned
that you _must_ boot MacOS without extensions (hold the shift key while
booting), before launching the Penguin application. Did you do that?

I just added a blurb in the manual about it last week.

|                  To HAVE, GIVE all TO all (ACIM)               |