Problems with Installation/After INstallation.

Here are a few questions.

First of all I am trying to install linux on a MAC LC 475, HD 250, Ram 32
MBS, vram 512. The macintosh parition is 30 mbs, the swap is 40, and the
linux is 180.   I am aware of that this machine does not have a floating
point unit and may have a processor that the emulation does not work.

I am encouraged to try this because we are planning to give these
comptuers  away to people who cannot afford computers and it says it is
doable on the machine status web page.

Here
is the problem, i first tried installing woody and it crashed right at the
very end when it was setting the base file up (it downloaded without a
problem, extracted without a problem, however it stopped in the middle of
the setting up process. I
did a manual running the file, and it said missing file_utils package or
something.  So I gave up on that distrubution (I tried 2 differnet ftp
sites)

I then tried potato, everything went ok until the initial boot , it booted
but didnt run the dpkg-reconfigure base-config. I figured this out after
looking at the intitab and saw what it was running. The first screen
frooze, with it saying respawning too fast waiting five minuts. I hit
alt-f2
to switch screens
and it gave me alogin prompt i tried logging in and using the
dpkg-configure base-config and it said BUS error, then everytime after
that segmentation fault. I have many LC 475'2 and so far the two i tried
said the same thing.  How do I know if my LC 475 has the floating point
bug or if this is the reason why it is crashing. Any hints or tips are
welcome.
How can I get X windows to work, because I am aware that using X windows
with ICEWM is smaller then kde, and I was thinking of using that.

Will the Centris 610 work? would you know? I will be trying that next.