Problems with hwclock on Mac IIvx.

I just did a clean install of woody on my Mac IIvx with a DayStar Turbo
040 accelerator.  This system has been running potato for over a year
(not continuously due to power outages) with no problems.  The install
went fine, but the system locked up after the first reboot at the first
call to hwclock.  I rebooted the install and commented out the calls to
hwclock in rcS.d.  The system now boots and runs fine.  Entering hwclock
at the prompt locks the system hard.  The potato version of hwclock did
not have this problem.  I'm running the same kernel version as I was
with potato.  Does anyone know what changed in hwclock between Debian
2.2 and 3.0?

Ray