Re: Joliet support for s390 CDs

On Tue 12 Nov, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 12:43:42PM +0000, Wookey wrote:

<snip complaint from s390 user that he can't browse his CDs on a Windows
box to read the docs before starting the install>

> >To the CD-team more generally: Looking at the scripts I see that i386 and
> >alpha CDs add -J automatically, but not the other arches. Is there a good
> >reason why we don't make them with -J anyway for exactly this reason (easy
> >to browse on a handy windows box before the install?). I suppose it uses up
> >some space on the CD, but presumably not actually very much? I make my ARM
> >CDs with -J and no-one has complained...
>
> There was a hint of problems for m68k a long time ago, ISTR. So I
> turned off -J for the m68k CDs a long time ago, in slink IIRC.

CC:ed to porters. Can porters tell the CD team whether they would prefer
CDs to be made with Joliet long-filenames (as well as the current options)
or not. Is this known/thought to cause problems on any architectures these
days. If not then I suggest we turn it back on as it's extremely useful to
those that need it.

Wookey