Re: Linux on Atari ST

Hi,

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Malik Sezgin wrote:

> Since I have installed linux with KDE and KDE-games on a 486 for my kids
> they were so pleased, that they urged me to find out whether our old Atari
> ST could be revived using linux too.
>
> Is there any linux-version for the Atari ST and if so, how can I get it?

The "normal" Linux needs at least a 68020 CPU, which is not present in
an ST with standard hardware equipment. A missing FPU can be emulated,
thus it is possible to install Debian m68k on a Falcon. I once heard
about a special small Linux for STs, but since Linux is already
comparably slow on a TT (fast enough to work on the console, though, but
not for running X comfortably), it presumably won't make too much fun,
provided it ever developed to a usable stage.

Best wishes,

Kerstin

--

Dr. Kerstin Hoef-Emden			Gyrhofstr. 15