Re: Debian on a Mac Quadra 700

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 23:31, Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 03:26:17PM +0100, Jim Hague wrote:
> > I'm attempting to turn a comprehensively redundant Quadra 700 into something
> > useful.
> >
> > The beast has 20Mb RAM, and an external 1Gb 'd2' (that's what it says on the
> > front) disc in addition to the internal 40Mb drive.
> >
> > I've made a root and a swap partition on the external disc.
> >
> > Installing Woody via Penguin 1.9 is not going well, though. Frequently the boot
> > gets stuck at video initialisation, showing the b/w penguin and 'ABCDEFGHIJ'.
> > Other times it boots properly and installation begins, only to run into the
> > sand in a variety of ways, often involving one of several kernel panics
> > (dereferencing NULL pointer, Freeing swap cache etc.) Otherwise files are
> > reported as corrupt after downloading, or it just freezes up.
> >
> > I see the Quadra 700 is on the hardware list as working fine. MacOS doesn't
> > seem to have any trouble working properly.
>
> These are the same problems I have run into with my Quadra 650 with
> external hard drive install. It's basically unusable. I hope someone
> has a clue. I was thinking maybe it was my memory wasn't up to speed
> or that Linux is not happy with the external drive.

Try adding mac53c9x=1,0 to the Command Line in Penguin, this turns off
SCSI reselect which doesn't work too well on some of the NCR53C94 chips
used in the 040 based Macs.  Also try starting MacOS without Extensions
as you may have an extension that doesn't shut down properly.

I have Woody installed on a 136MB Quadra 650 with a 2.1 GB hard disk and
internal CD-ROM and even KDE appears usable.

Ray