Re: xserver-xfree86 on Woody 3.0r0

Hank didn't bother with his correct reply to address but anyway to address
this particular gripe...

> By the way, why doesn't Debian have a multiuser run level where you can
> still use xdm, gdm, or kdm, etc. and not have to have to log in with the
> window manager. This would greatly help out debugging problems with an X
> server. Redhat offers the choice of being able to log in with a console
> after loading their kdm, gdm, etc.  rpm. But once a window manager is
> selected in Debian, you're stuck with this rebooting Xserver if you have
> a bug in your config file. I finally just deleted the symbolic links to
> kdm, gdm, and xdm out of the /etc/rc2.d directory. Looks like rc3.d,
> rc4.d, and rc5.d are identical. Why can't runlevel 3 be used for the
> default runlevel for the window managers, and leave runlevel 2 for use
> as a multiuser console login--even if a window manager package is
> selected. Would save a lot of time on an m68k machine, and would keep a
> lot of new users from becoming frustrated:-)

I find removing the symlink a most effective way of dealing with the problem
anyway, its not like its hard or anything. Personally I prefer a command line
login by default anyway. And on any new install and config it pays to test
your xserver conf before you  reboot.

Last time I looked redhat didnt have a m68k port anyway.......

david