Re: V3 Amiga install problem

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 12:49:30AM +0000, Steve Hargreaves wrote:
> Hi there, Christian
>
> On 07-Oct-02, you said:
>
> CTS>> OK, you'll be pleased to know that this worked. I used the 3.0
> CTS>> amigainstall pacgage copied to a normal AmigaDOS directory on an SFS
> CTS>> partition, with disk 1 of the 2.2r2 CD distribution in my IDE drive. I
> CTS>> cd'd to the CD and then started with the following command line:-
> CTS>
> CTS> No need to cd to the CD.
>
> If I don't, it doesn't work.

What "does not work"? I would not see any reason for it not to work, you
specify the path for amiboot, the kernel, the rootimage, so linux should
boot. If it does not find the CD in linux beacuse you did not cd to the CD
in AOS, there is something going on that I do not understand.

> CTS> I thought you wanted to upgrade to 3.0? I wouldn't install all that stuff
> CTS> if you want to upgrade to woody anyway.
>
> Now, this is the tough bit. I do want to upgrade, but I'm hitting a problem with
> ppp. I get a message saying that it isn't compiled into the kernal. I also get
> various boot messages complaining about not being able to find modules.deb,

modules.dep? That should be recreated every time you boot, IIRC. You are
running linux-2.2.20 (uname -r or -a to check)? Then it should be in
/lib/modules/2.2.20/modules.dep. If you run a different kernel, I guess you
know where to look. Uh, wait a minute, you probably installed the modules
which shipped with Debian2.2, that would be 2.2.10 or something. The easiest
way to fix that would be to install kernel-image-2.2.20-amiga, but maybe
thats difficult to download. I would recommend doing that anyway later, even
if this fix works:
In your amigainstall.tgz is a drivers.tgz, this contains a modules.tgz which
has to be unpacked in /
After you did that, run update-modules and your modules.dep should be there.
I never tried that, but it should at least get the modules into place. If
you get it working, do install kernel-image-2.2.20-amiga anyway, just to get
everything right (or roll your own kernel).
If you do not get ppp working with that, maybe you can force the kernel to
load the modules from 2.2.10? I've done worse things to ge tmy winmodem to
work...

Now I wonder if you would get the right modules in place if you had used
this driver.tgz/driver.bin during installation.

Are you sure you do not want to try a Debian3.0 CD? Its easier in the
long run, especially for me ;-)

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/woody