Re: V3 Amiga install problem

Hi there, Christian

On 07-Oct-02, you said:

CTS>> OK, you'll be pleased to know that this worked. I used the 3.0
CTS>> amigainstall pacgage copied to a normal AmigaDOS directory on an SFS
CTS>> partition, with disk 1 of the 2.2r2 CD distribution in my IDE drive. I
CTS>> cd'd to the CD and then started with the following command line:-
CTS>
CTS> No need to cd to the CD.

If I don't, it doesn't work.

CTS>> Programs:linux/amiboot5.6 -d -k programs:linux/linux.bin -r
CTS>> programs:linux/amiga/root.bin root=/dev/ram video=virge:800x600-8
CTS>> ide=doubler
CTS>>
CTS>> This got me to an apprently 2.2 version of dbootstrap
CTS>
CTS> It would have surprised me if you had gotten anything else ;-)
CTS>
CTS>> You might note that the version of Amiboot on the 2.2 CD also failed
CTS>> before starting linux, but I don't suppose it matters.
CTS>
CTS> Maybe because its not executable? I thought this was fixed in later
CTS> versions of the 2.2 release.

OK

CTS>> The predominant problems are:-
CTS>>
CTS>> Mouse freezing
CTS>
CTS> don't install gpm?

Removed it - problem fixed - now much more responsive :o)

CTS>> Lack of any response when clicking on the buttons on the desktop
CTS>> a complete system freeze when trying to quit the desktop
CTS>
CTS> Buttons on the desktop??? What desktop, Gnome, KDE, ... ?

It was down to the install problems I referred to - and the mouse freeze
problem. Completeing the insall and removing gpm fixed it.

CTS>> I suspect that most, if not all of these are related to the installation
CTS>> problems, thou, and when I get a chance, I'll go through it all again.
CTS>
CTS> I thought you wanted to upgrade to 3.0? I wouldn't install all that stuff
CTS> if you want to upgrade to woody anyway.

Now, this is the tough bit. I do want to upgrade, but I'm hitting a problem with
ppp. I get a message saying that it isn't compiled into the kernal. I also get
various boot messages complaining about not being able to find modules.deb,
which I can't find manually either (also applies to ppp)

I can install and configure wvdial to dial into my isp, but afte a while, it
tries to use pppd and then quits immediately. Again, various permutations
haven't solved this. Any suggestions?

I installed the older versions as a test - which I'm satisfied with. I've
restarted, and now have just a base system installed again. but I need to fix
this ppp problem, now.

Regards

Steve
--

If you explain so clearly that no one can misunderstand, somebody will.
-- Unknown