Amiga Locking up on install.

Anybody get this?

I get through the entire config process for install only to have the computer
lock-up while Installing the base system.

I've tried to install the base system by downloading basedebs.tar to the amiga
hard disk or a network install via http/ftp to debian.org.  The only module I
add to the kernrel is the ariadne2 network card driver.

When I do a hard disk install it locks up at:
Validating:
/target/var/lib/apt/lists/debootstrap.invalid_dists_woody_Release
(although sometimes it doesn't and locks up a little later)

When I do a network install it locks up at:
Validating
/target/var/lib/apt/lists/debootstrap.invalid_dists_woody_main_binary-m68k_Packages.gz
(always)

My system:
Amiga2000
gvp-m/tekmagic 060/scsi combo card (amiga hard drive 1G)
a2091 scsi card (linux hard drive 1G root + 128M Swap + 800M AmigaFS(for
install))
64M ram + 2M Chip
Ariadne2 Network Card
Spectrum Video (installed but not used)