Re: problems with booting installation system for debian m68k for mac...

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 09:37:53PM +0200, Nicolas Vilz 'niv' wrote:

> I followed the instructions and booted the kernel, the ramdisk was
> found and now i have following error:
>
> bogl: don't know screen type 0
>
> this lines appears since i started the machine and it fills the hole screen...

See "Known problems" on my woody page.

> I also tried to install potato first and then upgrade to woody, but
> this failed with libc6 (same error as discussed in this mailing list)
>
> and, dear christian
[...]
> i got up to Setting up libc6 (2.2.5-6)
>
> and then the same errors like MaX

And, dear Nicholas, as we heard from Max, it was a hardware problem. Maybe
you also have a hardware problem?

> maybe run the old bootstrap from the potato system and then configure
> the network, step to the second console, download the basedebs from
> woody and install them..

I don't think that will help if your hardware is broken. I installed potato
in a chroot and then updated to the woody glibc. Works nicely. I then
downgraded libc to the potato version, had to force it, and broke the
system. Its nice to have a chroot, I wouldn't have tried that otherwise.

> but is there a tar-ball with apt in it?

The source? Or unpack the deb by hand?

> help me please :)

Sorry, no ideas how to fix your hardware with software...

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/woody