Hard lock on new HD problem

Hey folks, got Debian running on my Quadra 840AV. The 1 gig drive was getting a bit cramped so I got a nice 4.3gig drive off eBay. Stuck it in, it mke2fsed fine, untarred the XFree86 4.2.0 source to it, started compiling, and as it went it got slower and slower until finally the whole system hard locked. Tried it several times with the same result. So, I went back to the MacOS side, did a low level and zero out format, formatted to HFS and was able to copy, duplicate, and install 8.1 on it just fine without an issue. Back to Linux, tried untarring the source files on the existing HFS, and it still ground to a halt and hard locked.

Any clues why it works fine on Mac but not Linux? I did notice the drive was quite hot, so I'm trying it again now with a stand alone fan to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks!
Scott Holder