keyboard problems

I've gotten somewhat further along, thanks to advice from this list and
elsewhere. Substituting the slink 2.0.36 kernel for the 2.2 solved my
problem with installation on the Mac SE-30 and got me further down the
road to the next problem...

When it comes time to select the keyboard (first step in the install
after the inital boot), my keyboard freezes. I seem to remember seeing
some kernal parameter that could be set that stopped that problem(?), but
I can't find the reference anywhere now.

What can I do to keep my keyboard from freezing up? (I've tried both
extended and standard keyboards. Both exhibit the same behavior.)

David Kachel
theMac Workshop