Re: working xfree86 4.1.0?

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 03:07:31PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 01:33:30PM +0000, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> > I basically copied the PPC code and tested it on my Amiga 040
> > (WarpEngine) and it worked fine. I guessed as much that the icache
> > flushing wouldn't work for other machines though.
>
> Thanks a lot for doing that, Alan.  It's very important to Debian's
> ability to support m68k that XFree86 4.x works.  :)
>
> > PS. Attached is my XF86Config file that works on my 040'
>
> This looks very similar to a config file that can be autogenerated by
> the debconf scripts in the xserver-xfree86 package.  (Debian users will
> care about that. :) )
>
> I only have a couple of questions about it:
>
> Is the explicit modeline in your monitor section necessary?
>
>     Mode "640x480"
>         DotClock	25.175
>         HTimings	640 664 760 800
>         VTimings	480 491 493 525
>     EndMode

Mmm,

it would be nice on amiga hardware to have some modes into the default
XF86Config, in particular :

  there is a pal/ntsc output for those who don't have a multisync monitor,
  or wihch to output to a TV.

I am not sure this is supported by the standard vesa modes, but then, maybe
these days every amiga user has a multisync monitor and/or a graphiuc card.

There may be problems with the VGA mode also, but i don't think so.

Friendly,

Sven Luther