Re: mac IIvx and Debian?

On Sun, 2002-01-20 at 07:43, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My father told me that there was a Mac IIvx lying around at his job, to
> be thrown away soon. I could have it for free.
>
> Now, I've read that the vx was not actually the best Mac ever with a
> 16bit data path and all. OTOH, I have a SE/30 around here which I
> managed to at least boot Debian once, although it was quite slow.
>
> I don't know how much RAM the vx has, but it has a CD-ROM drive. Do you
> think it would be not impossible to install Debian on it so that it runs
> console somewhat decently (i.e. considerably faster that the SE/30)?
>
> thanks,

The IIvx should be a definite improvement over the SE/30.  The IIvx has
4MB of motherboard RAM and 4 30-pin SIMM slots.  It also has a 3 Nubus
slots and a PDS slot.  I have one with 16MB of RAM in the 4 slots giving
a total of 20MB.  It is by no means a speed demon, but is more than
adequate for console work.

Ray Knight