Re: Hades060 kernel

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 12:22:45PM +0200, A.J.Bink wrote:
    I have the Debian 2.2r4 CD-package (2.2.10) and tried to install it
 on a Hades060.
 It did not work at all, no screen messages at all.  With my other
 machines I found that
 when executing the routine __initfunc(void config_atari(void)) ( in
 ...../atari/config.c)
 the routine will execute a 'pmove' instruction not present on the
 68060. I think that
 the combination of different 'CONFIG_M680n0' and CONFIG_HADES=y is the
 reason for this failure.

this can't be the reason, the 'pmove' instruction is properly hidden
in 020/030 specific code (although I don't have 2.2.10 sources around
anymore). It is however quite possible that the kernel loader didn't
figure out the correct CPU or was given bad CPU information.
However if that was the case you would hit illegal instructions much
earlier in head.S.

Did you try debugging over the serial console? A newer kernel might
also be worth a try, search for "Nick Holgate" & kernel in the archives
of this ML.

Bye
Richard

I copied the files necessary for the install to the HD, added a line to BOOTARGS:
debug="par" and started BOOTSTRA.  The program recognized the CPU and
the FPU as 68060 and the model as Hades.
The dump on the printer says:
Linux version 2.2.10 (root@aahz) ..........
Atari hardware found:  ............
*** LINE 1111 ***  FORMAT=0
Current process id is 0
BAD KERNEL TRAP  00000000
PC:  [<0012f8d0>]
 and then register and stack dumps and call traces.
I started BOOTSTRA in a debugger, stopped it just before jumping to the kernel code,
saved the compressed image in a file and looked at it again in the debugger.
There I found that the crash PC-value pointed to the 'pmove' instruction.
In the past I had several kernels crashing on the Hades060 but not on the Medusa040.
The Medusa040 has the 'pmove' instruction.

 Thank you for the tip, I will search the archives.

--
 Kind greetings,
   A.J.Bink.