Re: debian on Macintosh Performa 400 ?

On Tue, 2001-09-18 at 11:41, Sven wrote:
> Hello, ...
>
> A friend of mine has gotten an Macintosh Performa 400, and asked me if it was
> possible to run linux on it.
>
> http://www.info.apple.com/info.apple.com/applespec/applespec.taf?RID=66 shows
> that it is an FPU less 68030 at 16MHz, with a maximum of 10MB of ram.
>
> What is the state of the fpu emulation code on linux/m68k, and will 10MB be
> enough for any kind of serious work, it will mostly be targeted to using vim,
> latex, and some visualisation program, thus X is needed.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

While you will be able to install and run debian on this box (I have
installed and run on a IIsi (16Mhz 68030, no FPU) 8MB of ram), running X
on the box will require lots of swap and much more patience.  This box
would most likely only be useful for text based applications.

Ray Knight
audilvr@speakeasy.org