Re: FYI: me, XFree86, and my Quadra 840AV

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 05:33:15PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > (NTP still locks the box.)
>
> You need a recent kernel.

I've got a recent kernel.

Linux tortoise 2.2.19 #1 Tue Jul 10 21:47:25 BST 2001 m68k unknown

> NTP doesn't work on 2.2.10. I'm running a 2.2.19 I got somewhere,
> which does not have this issue.

As far as I can tell, it does.

> > The kernel wouldn't finish with the
> > nbd device for literally days after file operations had stopped, and
> > there is no documentation about how to merge the "diffs" that are
> > created back into the filesystem image.
>
> diffs?
>
> You're using the "copy-on-write" feature, are you? (-c to the server)

Yes, I was.

> What you should've done instead is "nbd-server <any port> <the file>"
>
> and on the client
>
> nbd-client <server's hostname> <port> </dev entry>
>
> These diffs are only interesting for setups with diskless boxen that swap
> over the network. NBD was created to support this, but you need a special
> kernel patch to prevent deadlocks to be able to do this safely.

Ah.

Okay, I may perform another experiment with NBD soon.

BTW, I think some of your mail should go into the nbd documentation!

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      "I came, I saw, she conquered."
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      The original Latin seems to have