X woes

Folks:

I'm giving m68k Linux (2.2 potato with the 2.2.18 kernel) another try and am
stymied by getting FBDev to recognize a valid video mode for my monitor. It
didn't seem this hard last time I installed : ) .

I'm using the example XF86Config at /usr/share/doc/xserver-fbdev/example
directory and have modified it for my monitor (15" multisynch relatively
plain jane  Samsung).

No matter what I do I get the same error:
Fatal server error:
No valid video modes found.

I've tried using fbset -x to output values that I then added to the config
file, but it doesn't seem to recognize it. I even added the values to the
mode lines at the end and it did not work either.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Pat

--
Pat Plummer.MD