Re: X session startup failure/ serial port config - advice needed

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 11:09:25PM +0000, pgrb@ygdrasil.demon.co.uk wrote:

> that was exactly it.  I installed libwraster from dselect - unfortunately
> it came in 149 MBytes of 'other stuff', but I had enough disk space.
You insisted on using widowmaker as window manager, there are other
lightweight window managers around, my favourite is fvwm.
But I can not believe that libwrater forced you install 149MB of stuff:
 Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.2), libjpeg62, libpng2, libtiff3g, libungif3g (>= 3.0-2) | giflib3g (>= 3.0-5.2), libxpm4, libz1, xlib6g (>= 3.3.5)
That shouldn't be too many MBs, maybe other packages required more stuff?

If widowmaker requires libwraster but is not listed in its dependencies,
that is indeed a bug. The i386 binary depends on libwraster... the source
does not provide build depends (in the potato version, I do not have the
source of the woody packages). Hmm, libwraster is built from the wmaker
source? Looks a bit strange, not that I would care much about bugs in potato
packages now, but you should report this to the maintainer of the package
(check potato-proposed-updates first if there is already a newer package,
the woody binary I have here does have the correct dependency). Or report it
as a normal bug. Seems you were the first to use wmaker on m68k...

Christian