Re: which kernel to run on Performa 475?

Ray Knight wrote:

> My 2.2.18 kernel available on the SourceForge website at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-mac68k/ in the Latest File
> Releases section works just fine on my LC475 with th 68LC040 processor
> so there should be no problem with a full '040.  I have 36MB of RAM,
> 500MB SCSI drive and a Farallon EtherMac LC-TP card in the PDS slot.
> You could also pull the source from 2.2 source from CVS (directions on
> site) and build your own kernel.  It'll take a while but you can
> configure it for your needs.
>
> --
> Ray Knight
> audilvr@speakeasy.org

I'm a bit confused about the 68LC040.  I have a Q605 (functionally equivelent to
the 475 I understand) and it gave me trouble when I tried to install.  I would get
an INIT error ID "1" respawning too fast.  Someone on another list said this may
be because the LC040 is buggy.  I'm not sure if I have a buggy chip or not.  I've
installed Software FPU, but don't know how to test it.  I suppose there must be a
test of the embedded Linux FPU too.  Do you have ideas?

Mark Gillingham <MarkGill@Badger.Alumni.Wisc.Edu> <http://www.loftNet.com/Mark/>
InterNetworking for Better Education
312.663.4741 (voice) 312.777-4000x3343 (fax)
"I'm going to make litter out of the literati" (a character on The Simpsons).