Re: Potato Installation Report

At 6:27 pm +0100 11/7/2000, Michael Schmitz wrote:

>What did you try to escape from the install section?

 It was late and I was getting tired and seemed to be going around in
circles.  However I have now retraced my steps and realised that the
Installer was asking for the location of the various package listing files.
I used my official slink distribution CD's and everything went fine.  I now
have both slink and potato on my IIsi

>The missing files I don't know, please send a copy of the error messages.
>resolv.conf should have been set up by the installer, this sounds like you
>omitted the network config step. Create /etc/resolv.conf manually (at
>least the line 'nameserver <ip address>' is required), otherwise you will
>have trouble finding any hosts on the network.

I figured this out to but is now fixed

>> If I edit the etc/rc2.d will this enable me to get to the login prompt ?
>
>Don't muck with any of the rc scripts unless you know exactly what you're
>doing. On the second to fifth consoles there should be a login prompt
>waiting for you already.
I just wanted to open a shell and look at the file to see if it was causing
any of the problems I was experiencing.  However, see my first comment, I
have isolated and fixed the problem.

So far Potato seems pretty stable but I still see mod probe error messages
at startup.  I have looked in all the log files I can find and the logs
stop after the swap space has been initialised.  Is there anywhere else I
should look to find any more logs other than /var/log.

Anyway I wrote the messages down so here they are.

modprobe cannot locate char-major 4-66
modprobe cannot locate char-major 4-67
modprobe cannot locate char-major 4-68

these messages are then repeated but interleaved with

/dev/ttyS2 is not configured
/dev/ttyS3 is not configured
/dev/ttyS5 is not configured

I am not sure if any of this is crucial and so far does not seem to have
any ill effects

Kind regards