Re: Potato Installation guide-Mac

>>Good to hear, somebody who actually dared to try this :-)
>>Can you please check the complete mac guide for any omissions/mistakes? It
OK.
>> www.debian.org/~cts/debian-mac-3.txt (from friday or so).
>
>Installing from your Hard Drive.
>
>Select "Hard disk: File system on the hard disk".  Specify the partition
>where you downloaded the installation files eg /dev/sda3.  Enter the path to
>the directory containing the installation files.  In the simplest case, if
>you unpacked the archive directly into a folder "install" at the top of the
>directory tree, just hit Return.  This is because "/install" is already set
>as default for the directory name; otherwise you will have to type the path
>yourself.  It must begin with a "/", followed by the directory components
>leading to the files (e.g. "/tmp/newstuff/install" if the files reside in
>the directory/tmp/newstuff/install/ on that partition).
>(FIXME: I do not think this is true. On Amiga the partition you selected is
>mounted under /instmnt, you have to give a path relative to this. Also, if
>just press <Return> you can choose to let the installer create a list of all
>available install files or to set the path manually. I allway let it build the
>list, takes a little time, but it is extremely convenient.
>Is it really different on a Mac?)

Yes, this is wrong. If you unpack the "mac" folder on the root level of
your HD, the path to install kernel and drivers is /instmnt. Installing the
base system the path is /instmnt/mac. The defaults work. 4 or 5 returns
gets you through this. I would assume that installing off the CD will be as
simple. So, no, it's not different on a Mac.

Otherwise I didn't notice anything wrong, except for the installing from
floppies thing (you have a FIXME). I didn't configure the network, but
anyone configuring a network should know what they're doing.

But, there is no Penguin Prefs. I used bf-mac_2.2.15_m68k.tar.gz. When I
launched Penguin I had a blank command line and no kernel or ramdisk
selected. Either Penguin Prefs are needed or the command line needs to be
covered in the quick-install guide (or maybe I'm missing something).

BTW, the "simple" apt additional software install seems still broken. If
that's not going to be fixed, then maybe it should be mentioned?