Re: Keyboards?

>I finally got a keyboard/mouse. Very neat. I got it along with a broken LC
>475. Does the LC normally (or machintoshen in general) boot up with music?
>The LC, just plays this music that's all it does. It doesn't show anything
>on the monitor. Any chance the type of music might indicate what the problem
>is. the 9th symphony when your hd has crashed, or dance of the sugarplums
>when mem-check fails? If nothing else I'll put the HD in my IIci. Double the
>space man! Though I gotta figure out a way to secure it inside the case.
>Maybe get a bracket and epoxy it near the ram in the front corner.

Hey, Greg. All Macs start up with a single chime/chord. If you are hearing
a tune, it is the Chimes of Doom, meaning a hardware test failure
(unfortunately, your idea about different music to indicate different
problems has never been implemented; great idea though:-). This is before
it even looks for software/HD (outside of the ROM), I believe. So it is
definitely hardware.

Most common cause IME is mis-seated RAM, mis-seated other chips/cards,
mis-seated ribbons or SCSI cables to drives, etc. On a Quadra 630, it was a
mis-seated motherboard. Second choice, bad RAM chip. Last choice, bad
motherboard. That's all I've ever run across, FWIW.

Good luck. Rick