Re: LC 630 seg probs and SoftwareFPU

On Sun, 4 Jun 2000, James Waterhouse wrote:

> Hello all,
> I've installed SoftwareFPU on my LC 630 to test if it is because of my
> cpu that programs are seg faulting. Do I now need to get a program that
> uses float point arithmetic in order to test if the FPU emulation is
> working? If so does anyone have a suggestion of what program I could use
> (I'm not a mac user)?

I thought that SoftwareFPU wouldn't load at all on buggy 68LC040's (it
would be X-ed out when the icon shows up on startup). I've never tried it,
though.

> p.s. for those who do not know... I recently installed potato on my mac
> LC 630. The first time it booted up (during the install when you are
> supposed to set the root password and choose your deb files) it hung in
> init. I can log in but ls seg faults at random and adduser seg faults
> all the time (I have not checked anything else). I just want to be sure
> this is a problem with my cpu (68LC040) and not something else. I'll
> change the cpu if I must.

A more reliable method would be to pull out the motherboard and look at
the mask number printed on top of the chip (six-digit code, second line
IIRC). Motorola says that 02E71M or higher is OK, less than that has the
bug. I know 02E23G in my LC 475 is buggy.

The speed boost alone might make it worth upgrading the chip, though.

-Andrew