Re: Unidentified subject!

> > If you do an upgrade from the slink base system, you will have a hard
> > time, it works, but its a pain. You can not install potato from scratch,
> > since we have no boot floppies (yet?), but this is another story.
>
> I'm not running base system, I have installed quite a lot. I have more or

Regardless - if you have a running system based on slink, try to upgrade.

> less only removed the different servers from installation of slink, mostly
> since I can't use them on this network. I don't have an inet-IP and I'm
> behind a firewall.
>
> However, I'll try this way to upgrade.

Please read the debian-user list to catch potential pitfalls with
dependencies during upgrade (I imagine some critical packages need to be
upgraded in a particular order; I think apt-get was one of those you
shouldn't upgrade in the wrong moment. bash, libc and libreadline are the
other usual suspects).

> Just one thing. Since I am kind of a novice with debian, I haven't figured
> out how to make X not start on bootup. I probably haven't looked around
> enough to find the settings but I'm kind of lazy!

Change the default runlevel in /etc/inittab to 3 (big fat comment in
inittab directs you to the right spot).