Re: samba

Hello Michael!

On 21-Mär-00 you wrote:

> It seems you are a bit confused about the meaning of 'heterogenous
> network' here. Many people say 'heterogenous networks need a Samba
> server' when they really want to say 'Windows clients in a Unix network
> need a Samba server'.

oh ah, didn´t know that. Don´t have any experience with Windows. I guess I
don´t need Samba when I don´t want to connect a Windows-client to the LAN.
Otherwise I would?! Because of the smb-protocol?

> Assuming your Amiga runs no Windows for m68k, and no Windows networking
> protocol, it's a safe bet that a Samba server will do nothing for your
> Amiga.

allright...

> What network protocol and programs are you trying to use for accessing
> the Linux file server? FTP, HTTP, NFS are all done by the Linux box
> without any further ado.

hm, ftp and http would be nice, don´t know nothing about NFS....
A Server as firewall in a LAN is terrible to configure without any
graphical interface.
What do you think about Corel Open Linux; it´s based on Debian.

Regards

--

  Andreas Meyer