Re: Network on Amiga Install

Hi Christian

On 15-Mar-00, you wrote:

> You are trying to install slink with the kernel provided there? You have a
> problem with installing the ariadne2 module? Known problem, there was a
> bug in another nic driver, which prevents the ariadne2 from loading. It is
> fixed with the kernel image from potato, look for
> kernel-image-amiga_2.0.36-2 or similar, install that one and copy the
> kernel (vmlinux) to the amiga side and boot with this kernel. This kernel
> is working fine with my amiga and my ariadne2 on the local network. How to
> get the kernel image via the network to a machine without network is left
> as an exercise for the reader :-)

Well, the latter is no problem, as long as I can mount my amiga-partitions
from inside and get the kernel out, if it is the kernel that is the
problem. I don't think so. There has been no protests about the ariadne
during install or boot.

> cable modem? buhu, I want that... no idea how/what to configure, but guess
> you just have a kernel problem and the rest will work without glitches.
> Network configuration is pretty straight forward in the initial install,
> if you know all the numbers.

It works just fine. However, since it is a DHCP-connection it causes
problems. I don't have a static IP. The only information I know is the
DNS's IP and the domainname for the server. Otherwise I have no information
to go by. Since that's all I have I have no clue whatsoever to what I
should enter when I configure the network during install.
I hoped someone here could help me with that because this is the only way I
have to install debian. I don't want to download everything before I
install.

Regards
--
Thomas Sjölin

http://www.infoscandic.se/~thomas

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is
time to reform.
-- Mark Twain