Re: installing onto quadra 840AV

Hi Bryan,

I would be happy to offer what assistance I can - be forwarned that there
are still some implementation issues with the 840AV that are being worked
on - so, don't expect full functionality just yet. However, that being
said, you should be able to get your machine running (and running in X at
that!). A starter suggestions:

  be sure to use the current stable branch for obtaining your install files
(e.g. that is now slink on the debian.org site) - using other kernels with
the install process gives mixed results so stick with the "linux" kernel -
but be careful - this kernel is not truely stable for the 840AV -- the one
I am currently running is vmlinux-2.3.11pl1-19990801.gz (but again, only
after I installed the distribution). What works: keyboard, mouse, scsi, cd,
serial ports - what doesn't work (yet) builtin ethernet and some aspects of
the fb driver (i.e. more recent kernels that have been attempting to
address the civic driver -- the one on the 840AV have achieved partial
success - I can get 1024x768x8 graphics to run X, but colors are confined
to shades of blue)

  If you can, use either a mounted linux partition with the distribution
tree, or better, get an official slink cdrom set.

  Try unplugging all serial devices and external scsi devices prior to
attempting a boot.

  Try booting to macos with extensions off (shift key held down).

What do you have installed in your box? How much RAM?

Lon